Saturday, June 15, 2013

Exploration and Animals

June 15th, 2013

A week ago today I left for South Africa. Excited to see what it was like, anxious about not speaking any local language, and ready to explore Johannesburg and the South African national park, Kruger, before beginning my summer work.

I arrived exhausted, after a 27-hour journey, and was immediately swept away by a tour of Johannesburg. It is a city far beyond what I would have imagined. Sweeping across all perceivable areas with a tremendous diversity in wealth and style. The tour began in Soweto, a slum area that has experienced tremendous improvements, and who’s previous resident, Nelson Mandela, contributed to its fame. The guide was amazing. He grew up in Saweto, showed us the various economic zones that now exist within the limits of the township, and then even brought us to his home. It is a beautiful community, with a lot of history and its residents played an important role during the fight to end apartheid. Tomorrow, the 16th of June, is national youth day, marking the day where on a corner in Soweto, the apartheid government shot and killed schoolchildren protesting the removal of local languages from the educational system. Knowing this brings home the importance of tomorrow for the South Africans I have come to know in only a week.

After Soweto, I headed to the apartheid museum. It is a well-done and beautifully crafted the museum that tells the story of the all too recent end to a terrible law and shares the voices of those who contributed to the fight. At the entrance there is a quote saying that "apartheid is now where it belongs, in a museum." I am happy to have had the history before many nights by the fire on safari where the hosts spoke of the changes they have seen only in the past 15 years. My first day in South Africa ended with a trip to the “top of Africa,” a rather odd yet delightful attraction taking you from a mall floor to 50 floors above the city for a panoramic view. Tired and overwhelmed by city life, I arrived at my hostel at 8pm, only to fall asleep shortly after.

The next day I began my safari. The experience was wonderful, and over too soon. The people who work for the company were friendly, fun, and extremely knowledgeable.  As a solo traveler coming on an odd day, I had a private safari for much of the trip. I spent one night on the Bulule game reserve in Tremisana, and was greeted at the entrance by four giraffes who did not want us to pass. The next day I went walking through the bush with two armed guards, tracking animals, and eating breakfast 10 feet from hippos sleeping in the water. That afternoon I  headed to Marc’s Treehouse Lodge, which I must admit was my favorite place I have stayed. With a view of the river and a lodge of bamboo, I spent 4 more days exploring the African bush, taking way too many photos, and nights around fires with cider and great company. Back in Joberg to prepare for my flight tomm, I can say I already miss where I was only 5 short hours ago!


What follows are photos from my various safaris. I had wonderful luck at both Kruger national park and Bulule, seeing 4 wild cheetahs out of only 300 left in the world! Other tourists began complaining at the spotting of yet another elephant, but I never got there. These animals are incredible, and even more so in their natural habitat. Each and every animal had me in awe. I took way too many photos, and often sat there watching, taking it all in. The majority of the photos are from parks, but the one with tables over water is where we ate breakfast at the lodge, and the one of me petting a cheetah is at a center to promote education about the animals, to keep local farmers from killing endangered species, such as the cheetah. These are only the photos from my smaller camera, and already looking at them, I know they do not do the experience justice. But they are a small piece of the beauty I have seen in the last week. Enjoy some of the photos, and I will post again soon!









No comments:

Post a Comment